Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Inside or Outside the Box?

Photo by jscreationzs
freedigitalphotos.net
We have all heard the phrase: think outside of the box. To jump start creativity, or to achieve our goals, we should think big. Dream big. Imagine big. And that is true, but then again, it is not quite the whole truth.

I'm reading Greater, by Steven Furtick, and it is fabulous! In one of his chapters, Furtick talks about the whole thinking outside the box idea. It's what got me thinking about writing and dreaming big outside the box.

The thing about thinking outside the box is that when you have dreamed big and brainstormed great solutions, you are still in the box with the same problems you had before. You remain frustrated that you can't really attain those outside-the-box-solutions.

  • If only you had a critique partner, you could really shape up your writing.
  • If only you could go to a writing conference, you could learn all you need to know about writing.
  • If only you could get an agent, you could get your book sold to your favorite publishing house.

If only...

Friends, you can still dream. You can still think outside the box, but you must realize that God can't bless you with his greater blessing outside the box until you trust him while you are inside the box with the tools that you already have. How are you being faithful with what you have in front of you?

  • For $45 a year (that's less than 2 pennies a day), you could join ACFW and have access to dozens of critiquers.
  • Go to the library and check out books on writing. Peruse writing blogs for articles on writing. There is a wealth of material out there to teach you what you need to know!
  • Start submitting to agents after you have done what you can to make your story the best it can be.
When you are faithful with little, you will be granted more. (Matthew 25:23) God will provide you a critique partner when you are ready for one. He will supply the money for a conference when you are ready to go. And He will give you an agent when the time is right. 

How are you needing to trust God in your writing life? In your personal life? 

****************************************************************************
This post is brought to you by
 Sherrinda Ketchersid

Sherrinda is wife to "Pastor John" and mother to three giant sons and one gorgeous daughter. A born and bred Texan, she writes historical romance filled with fun, faith, and forever love.




12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, interesting thoughts, Sherrinda. I am trusting God to give me time to revise my MS. And lead me on the next step of my journey. In my personal life it's in remembering my identity is in Him, not in how I think people perceive me. :)

Pepper said...

There's a BOX?!? Why didn't somebody tell me?

Great post, Sherrinda! And so encouraging!

Sherrinda Ketchersid said...

I love that, Jeanne. It's hard to remember to see ourselves as God sees and not make ourselves out to be what we think others think we are. (that was a bit of a convoluted sentence!)

Sherrinda Ketchersid said...

LOLOL...I knew you would post something funny, Pepper! LOLOL...I thought of you when I wrote this post, hoping that you wouldn't think I'm nutting for writing it. You are such an outside of the box thinker...YET, you DO trust your God while inside...and look where that has led you!!!! To a fab agent!

Jessica R. Patch said...

You're such an encouragement, Sherrinda! I love your thoughts today. :)

Sherrinda Ketchersid said...

Jessica, you are such a sweetie! I just love you! (((hugs)))

Susan Anne Mason said...

Thanks for the important reminder, Sherrinda!

So very true.

Cheers,
Sue

Beth K. Vogt said...

Sherrinda,
I keep bumping up against the theme of "dreams" this week.
I love your insight -- and the challenge to "dream big." Interestingly, that was the theme of the writers retreat I attended a few weeks ago.
Thanks for keeping the theme going.

Sherrinda Ketchersid said...

Sue Anne, thanks! And cheers to you too!

Sherrinda Ketchersid said...

Beth, don't you love it when God brings before you words or ideas that impress you like that? Dreams are such an important part of life...it brings hope. :)

Ruth Douthitt said...

Thank you for your words of encouragement! It can be difficult at times to be a writer...if you don't do "x, y, and z" then you're not a real writer.

Hog wash!!

So I appreciate your tips for getting around the obstacles.

Thanks!

Sherrinda Ketchersid said...

Hi Ruth! Hogwash, indeed! It's all about God and trusting Him for his timing.